Thursday, April 28, 2011

The Prodigal Runner

PART I.  I am in the midst of the longest period I have gone without running in a very long time. At least 8 days. My desire, my energy, it seemed even my ability, simply disappeared. Overnight. The touchstones of this little drought were common enough: (1) unappealing weather; (2) inconvenient scheduling; (3) an achy-breaky old body and stiff joints; (4) an over-indulged appetite - my goodness, (5) general malaise, and (6) just life stuff - much of it nice and good. My response has been to be sad about that and yet powerfully unmotivated at the same time. So, now the prospect of dragging myself out onto the streets or trails is rather daunting and overwhelming - almost frightening. It feels like beginning all over again. And it almost is. But, I brought my running gear to the office today. Seems like a waste not to haul it out. And I am registered for a 5K race to happen in 10 days or so. The sun is out and the temperatures have risen a bit. The achy-ness has minimized itself. I feel the need to reassure myself and challenge myself physically. So, barring the unforeseen, Part II of this posting in an hour or so should be from "the other side".

Part II. It is good to begin moving again. Tonight's easy run along the Tomahawk Creek bicycle trail was beautiful. A jewel blue and flawless sky. Sunshine. How I have missed the warmth and happiness of sun. Full and freely flowing stream and small waterfalls. Deer. Gentle solitude. As my body gradually became used to movement again, the sense of deeply regular breathing imparted a gratifying peace and I once again felt connected to the natural world. My running pace was not amazing, but that is alright. This was an evening to be grateful again, propelled by my need for movement... to be back in the swing, to have an ability to move in ways that elude many, to be "in the moment", to be a little less slothfully self indulgent than some other times. I am already eager for tomorrow's outing along the same path. While contemplating my enthusiasm for running in nature, I came across the following quotation from the Islamic poet/philosopher Rumi, "Judge a moth by the beauty of its candle." I have not heard this quote before, but it is a powerful one. It is a reference I will keep in mind for awhile and even consider while I run, though it is probably not a good racing mantra.

1 comment:

  1. I love your blog! But you are too hard on yourself! It sounds like a beautiful run-- deer and waterfalls, oh my :)

    ReplyDelete