Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Unity With Nature

For a couple of years now, I have maintained a private journal on the combined topics of running and spirituality. Today as I was reviewing part of it, I came back across this quotation which I like:

"No longer conscious of my movement, I discovered a new unity with nature. I had found a new Source of power and beauty. A Source I never knew existed."

-- Roger Bannister. Englishman; Neurologist; 1st Human recorded to have broken the 4 minute mile.

When I have touched this dimension of running, it is the best. I want to run enough more so that I again reach that almost mystical point. The sensation is almost that of a drug (I would suppose) - even for a old and slow amateur like me.

1 comment:

  1. This is how I feel during my swimming workouts when I'm in the middle of a super hard set. The mystical point is akin to when Mario becomes Metal Mario at 2:05.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sg7Eg-jlt50&feature=related

    Or maybe more like the silver surfer.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3EC_V9A-rw

    Anyway, it definitely feel like I'm made of metal.

    ReplyDelete