Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The Irregular Vegetarian

This time last year, I made the "enlightened" decision to convert to vegetarianism for reasons of health as well as  horror at my unintentional participation in the industrial slaughter system. During Lent it was an easy decision to make and stick with. And it was easy through the summer. The blog "NoMeatAthlete" by Matt Frasier and the book "Eating Animals" by Jonathan Safron Foer sustained me. Between a regular schedule of running in 100+ degree summer sun and my evangelistic consumption of retro food, I scaled off about 20 pounds and generally felt healthier than thou. Then as my daughter's wedding approached, and the platters of food piled around were stronger than me, I slipped. For months I slipped. In the cycle of things a new Lent is a time for renewal, and so I am back. Only this time the logic of the whole thing moved me much closer to becoming a Lenten Vegan. And for me that is sometimes harder, if only because I have to think farther into ingredients. So it was a good thing for me at lunch today to discover Hen House grocery's "premium homestyle Quinoa Garden Vegetable Soup". I felt defiantly virtuous when I chose it over some other hearty foods and really spoiled and happy as I slurped it at my desk. This may not really be so hard after all.  That and a freshly baked French roll for a total of about $4 seems like a good discipline to observe. Now if any one actually reads this and actually knows that my accomplishment was not vegan at all....break it to me gently. But it was still tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment